Summary of Position: Educator Volunteers will support the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum to bring its mission to life by bringing the Museum collection to life by engaging visitors and program participants through educational interactions.
Qualifications: Willing to gain an understanding of the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum, its mission, vision, policies and procedures and programs. Previous experience working with children, youth, adults or groups with a variety of backgrounds would be an asset. Have strong interpersonal skills, customer service skills and communication skills. Have the ability to learn and adapt to a wide variety of work environments. Have a warm and energetic personality and e willing to engage people in a variety of circumstances.
Reports To: Director of Education and Director of Volunteers
Primary Duties: Interact with and engage program participants and museum visitors using touchable specimens, activities, storytelling and more:
• Provide excellent customer service and answer general museum inquiries
• Facilitate learning opportunities for students, groups or individuals
• Lead and assist with formal programming and activities
• Provide feedback to the Director of Education on the education programs and services
• Assist with development of programs and program materials
Training Provided: All volunteers of the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum will be provided with an Orientation Package/Guide.
Educator Volunteers complete an Introductory Training Course, study selected readings, program guidelines and accompany other volunteers to gain knowledge and skills in implementing programs. Orientation to the facility and regular meetings with the Director of Education and Director of Volunteers to plan activities, monitor progress and provide data, background information and problem solving support.
All Volunteers are responsible for submitting the following documents prior to the commencement of their volunteer work;
• Signed and completed Volunteer Application
• Completed Criminal Reference Check
• Signed Orientation/Guide Form
Time Commitment: minimum 3 hours per week preferred, minimum 6 months
Ethics: As a volunteer member you make a commitment:
• To learn the extent of your role and carry it out fully
• To participate in a way that maintains the professionalism of Canadian Fire Fighters Museum
• To keep certain information confidential
Grounds for Termination: Failure to carry out assigned responsibilities
• Misrepresenting the Museum or its policies
• Breach of confidentiality
Contact Person: Board of Directors Treasurer, Director of Development and Director of Volunteers
Date Revised: July 2016
FILL OUT AN APPLICATION >>