Summary of Position: Volunteer Coordinators will provide support for the operations of the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum through the recruitment and management of volunteers and the volunteer program.
Qualifications: Willing to gain an understanding of the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum, its mission, vision, policies and procedures and programs. Ability to perform several tasks concurrently, time management and organizational skills. Ability to manage, network and motivate volunteers. Ability to help train new volunteers and maintain confidential information. Ability to organize and maintain detailed records; complete necessary paperwork and meet deadlines. Ability to perform public presentations; good oral and written communication skills. Previous volunteer management experience an asset but not required
Reports To: Director of Volunteers and/or Public Relations
Primary Duties: Recruit new volunteers through community outreach and free advertising opportunities.
• Interview applicants and train new volunteers.
• Create and fill schedules for organizational needs, including development of job descriptions.
• Hold regular volunteer meetings to discuss upcoming events and ongoing activities.
• Ensure coverage is provided for special events and typically attend those events. For large events, coordinator may create separate committees.
• Schedule volunteers to represent the organization at expos, seminars and other community programs.
• Maintain a volunteer database and keep track of individual volunteer activities.
• Recognize volunteers for special achievements and ongoing commitment including organizing and hosting one annual volunteer appreciation event.
• Publish a monthly article detailing volunteer activities and recognizing volunteers for special achievements.
• Recommend changes that would improve the volunteer program.
Training Provided: Orientation to the facility and regular meetings with the Director of Volunteers and/or Director of Public Relations to plan activities, monitor progress and provide data, background information and problem-solving support.
All Volunteers are responsible for submitting the following documents prior to the commencement of their volunteer work;
• Signed and completed Volunteer Application
• Completed Criminal Reference Check
• Signed Orientation/Guide Form
Time Commitment: flexible hours, minimum 6 hours per week preferred, minimum 1 year commitment
Ethics: As a volunteer member you make a commitment:
• To learn the extent of your role and carry it out fully
• To participate in a way that maintains the professionalism of Canadian Fire Fighters Museum
• To keep certain information confidential
Grounds for Termination:
• Failure to carry out assigned responsibilities
• Misrepresenting the Museum or its policies
• Breach of confidentiality
Contact Person: Director of Volunteers, Director of Development and/or Director of Public Relations
Date Revised: July 2016
FILL OUT APPLICATION FORM >>